TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH
A Brief History
Trinity Parish had its beginnings in the home of Samuel Sitgreaves, an Easton civic leader. Sitgreaves dreamed of an Anglican Church for Easton where prayer, worship, and communion could take place according to the rites of the church. He held weekly meetings with other liked-minded individuals and on February 11, 1819 “Trinity Church of Easton” was founded. A church building was completed and ready for services in October of 1820. At that time, the first Rector, Vestry, and Senior Warden were installed.
In its first years, Trinity faced may trials and tribulations. Despite the personal and financial hardship, the congregation decided in 1869 to demolish the church and build a larger, more modern building. The new church was consecrated on October 29, 1871. Only a small portion of the incurred debt had been repaid when the new church burned to the ground on March 8, 1873. While the ashes were still smoldering, The Vestry decided to rebuild immediately. The new church, our present building, was consecrated on April 20, 1876. It was placed on the Pennsylvania Historic Register in 1981.
This historic church, dating back almost 200 years, has a congregation with a great diversity of trades and lifestyles. Looking at the more recent history during the past 30+ years we have been guided by and blessed with very dedicated and spiritual people. This is an important consideration to the parishioners of Trinity. The value we place on continuing this tradition becomes more evident with each passing year.